It’s already second of December. Christmas is almost here. Christmas is by far my favorite holiday. Usually I drive my family crazy, ‘cos I could start planning Christmas things after Midsummer Day. Yes, I know it’s a bit early, but I love planning things. And Christmas is just ONCE a year and New Year Parties is every year =).
To my mom it’s tradition to watch from tv or attend church service at first advent (which is today), ‘cos Hosanna, Son Of David is been sang always. The song Hosanna, Son Of David (Hoosianna in Finnish) has been sung ever since 19th century at First Advent service. So I watched it too. I’m not really religious, but I attend church about couple of times on a year (wedding, funeral, christening). Not so much because of God. On my religious beliefs I’m Lutheran. Our national church is The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland. The church professes the Lutheran branch of Christianity, and is a member of the Porvoo Communion.
After church service I started to listen Christmas song in Finnish and English. And because I also love lists, I decided to list one of my favorites Christmas songs. They aren’t any order, cos I can’t choose which one is better. And order will change every other day depending on my mood. Today I just listed songs that are in English. If I would been considering Finnish songs too, I wouldn’t never finish. Here is TOP 12 of Christmas Songs I like. And which I could recall today. It’s TOP 12 ‘cos I can’t take anything of there. These songs I have to listen every year.
Best Christmas Song (in English) – TOP 12
1. Do They Know It’s Christmas
2. Last Christmas
3. Mary’s Boy Child or Marian Poika in Finnish
4. Jingle Bells or Kulkuset in Finnish. Although I prefer English version . Maybe because this is the song I’ve been hearing since I can remember, so English version is little bit different ‘cos it’s in English. Do you get my point?
5. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing or Kuului Laulu Enkelten in Finnish
6. If It Does Not Snow On Christmas or Jollei Jouluna Ole Lunta in Finnish
7. Happy Christmas (War Is Over). There’s Finnish version of this song too (there’re Finnish versions of almost every song if it’s a hit) Joulun Rauhaa. Hardly ever I listen to Finnish version. Original is better, way better!
8. Sleigh Ride or Rekiretki in Finnish
9. Deck the Halls
10. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer or Petteri Punakuono In Finnish
11. Jingle Bell Rock
12. Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree
If there’s Finnish song, it’s probably the song I’ve been listening, ‘ cos I’ve been listening those songs since I was a kid. Nowadays some songs are better in English than Finnish. I really don’t know why. Maybe I’m just fed up with those Finnish lyrics or something, ‘cos song is still the same. But of course some songs are way better in Finnish. Usually those ones are connected with some kind of memory.
If you have Spotify just click the song you want to listen. Enjoy Christmas music and feel free to comment. Let me know your favorite Christmas song. Maybe I get new ideas for my playlist. Which Christmas song you listening year after year?
Anxious waiting for Christmas, With Love SonyaBlue